Build relationships that make your job easier and your event services or products the best. A variety of professional improvement and networking opportunities will connect you to fair professionals and volunteers, including our:
- Management Conference: Designed for upper level management staff, this program is only open to fair members. Program highlights include presentation of new CFEs, workshops and keynote speakers, committee meetings, a facility tour, and ample time for networking.
- Specialty Seminar: The Specialty Seminar features a different focus in a three-year rotation. This event is perfect for the "specialist" at your fair, be it staff or volunteer, working in one of these three areas: concessions, commercial exhibits, and competitive exhibits; agriculture, physical plant operations, and year-round facility usage; advertising and sponsorship.
- Zone Meetings: In addition to our nation-wide meetings, we also encourage our members to attend their annual zone meetings; something that is not confined to one state, but also something that is not far to travel to. It is a great opportunity to network outside of your state without traveling long distances. Our zones are divided into eight parts:
- Zone 1 includes Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Brunswick, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Pennsylvania, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
- Zone 2 includes Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- Zone 3 includes Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, and that portion of Ontario less than 85° longitude West of Greenwich.
- Zone 4 includes Manitoba, Minnesota, North Dakota, Saskatchewan, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and the portion of Ontario more than 85° longitude West of Greenwich.
- Zone 5 includes Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska.
- Zone 6 includes Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Texas.
- Zone 7 includes Alberta, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming.
- Zone 8 includes Alaska, Arizona, British Columbia, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.
- Institute Summit: If you are a volunteer, part-time or full-time paid staff member at your fair, you can join others involved with fairs, exhibitions and shows to focus on your professional development in a curriculum covering all aspects of management in the Institute of Fair Management.
- State or Provincial Meetings: Many states or provinces have their own annual meeting. Click here for our list of state/provincial association partners.
- Convention and Trade Show: See for more information in our convention tab at the top.
Annual Convention & Trade Show
The Annual Convention and Trade Show, held in Las Vegas, is the largest event serving fairs, shows, exhibitions, and expositions. Convention attendees network and learn from each other and top professionals during the intensive four days of workshops, special seminars, round table discussions, and social events.
The Trade Show allows companies to showcase themselves while serving as a one-stop shop for all your event's booking, product, and service needs. Associate members receive a $100 credit toward the purchase of exhibit space at the annual Trade Show.
In a world where life is fair, going to the library is fun. The IAFE Library provides you with the information and research tools you need to succeed. Donations from members, colleges and universities, and materials developed by the IAFE staff cover topics such as:
- Employee handbooks
- Job descriptions
- Media packets
- Agriculture education ideas
- Policy and operations manuals
- Contest winner submissions in agriculture, competitive exhibits, communication (advertising, etc), sponsorship, and going green
Library materials can be searched using a simple keyword search or more advanced phrases and categorical searching. Then items can be downloaded or requested from the IAFE Education Department.
Exhibits & Educational Materials
Take advantage of our member discount pricing for our available products. Complement your children's activities with the IAFE's most popular product the "Color the Fair" coloring books, add something special to your children's agriculture education programs with our Activity Displays, and promote literacy and increase participation in your fair with the Read & Win program.
Members can also order audio and/or video recordings of CyberSeminars or any other recorded workshop. These items and programs can be used enhance your education program, gain more community involvement, and provide fairgoers with a memorable experience.
Fairs & Expos Magazine
Published six times a year, Fairs & Expos magazine is the source for information about trends, innovative ideas, and association activities. The magazine is designed to assist you in sharing your successes and learning from the experiences of others. You are encouraged to take advantage of the opportunity to showcase your achievements in Fairs & Expos. One idea from this magazine or the Members Only section of the web site will more than pay for your membership.
Each magazine will typically contain a Washington update, an Internet 101 article, an Eco Spot article, fair reports, fair news and photos, a calendar of events, messages from our board of directors/chair, associate news, meeting information, and many more articles that change for each magazine.
You will receive a complimentary copy of the Annual Directory with lists of dates, attendance, and much more about each fair member. In addition, it is the handy reference that puts associate members, their products, services, and business activities in front of all members year round.
Features of the IAFE Directory include:
- Important Association information
- Member Services information
- An Index of the Primary Contacts for each Fair Member
- An Alphabetical listing of Fairs by their City and State/Province
- A Listing of All Fair members, with contact information, dates etc.
- A List of Fairs held by Month
- A List of State and Provincial Associations of Fairs
- An Alphabetical listing of Associate Members
- A Listing and Description of all Associate Members by Category or business type
The www.fairsandexpos.com web site offers members all IAFE services and the latest happenings. It also connects the public through the "Fairs Everywhere" link and the "Link to Our Members" section. More benefits of the site:
- Learn more about the IAFE
- Utilize IAFE products and services
- Register and find information about IAFE meetings
- Find information about IAFE's contests and certification
- Visit our State and Provincial Associations to find events in your state or province
- View current fair job listings
- Link to IAFE fair and associate members' web sites (including submitting your own site for publication)
- Discover current legislative resources
- Maintain and update your IAFE membership
- Find the latest fair industry news
- Evaluate sponsorship and advertising opportunities to promote your business
- Read past and present Fairs & Expos articles
Contests & Member Recognition
IAFE's annual contests for fair, show, exhibition, and exposition members recognize and reward excellence. All contests are judged by IAFE member representatives and professionals from respective fields. The Agricultural Awards Program has three main goals:
- to improve the agricultural education of fairs
- to help fairs improve service to both fair exhibitors and the fairgoing public
- to recognize fairs that provide outstanding agricultural education
The Competitive Exhibits Contest recognizes excellence in competitive exhibit display methods and supplements the IAFE resource library by increasing the amount of helpful information available for you. The Communications Awards Program recognizes the outstanding advertising/promotional campaigns and is an absolute treasure-trove of ideas.
You will enjoy special discounts from Hertz Rent-A-Car, Choice Brand Hotels, as well as one $5,000 AD&D insurance policy.
Take advantage of IAFE discounts from Hertz. For more information, including savings information and a discount card, please click here.
One policy per membership, is made available at no cost and provides $5,000 of accidental death and dismemberment insurance to all members who have completed an insurance enrollment card and returned it to the IAFE Office. This coverage is limited to one individual per fair or firm. Each member may purchase additional policies for $4 per policy per year. The coverage being provided is commonly referred to as 24-hour Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance. This coverage provides protection 24 hours a day anywhere in the world against accidental death or resulting dismemberment. Contact us for an enrollment form or additional information.
International Association of Fairs and Expositions' members are able to take advantage of a 15% discount at over 5,800 participating Comfort Inn®, Comfort Suites®, Quality®, Sleep Inn®, Clarion®, MainStay Suites®, Suburban Extended Stay Hotel®, Econo Lodge® and Rodeway Inn® brands and Ascend Collection® properties worldwide! Make reservations conveniently by booking online at www.choicehotels.com/deals/corporate-rate or by calling 800-258-2847.
Now save even more! Sign up for the Choice Privileges® rewards program today to start earning points towards free nights, flights or more in addition to your 15% discount! It's fast, free and easy to join. Earn points at participating hotels. Go to www.choiceprivileges.com/signup/IAFAIRS today!
Remember to book in advance. Reference both your IAFE Special Rate ID and your Choice Privileges member # to receive your discount while earning Choice Privileges points! If you have lost your Choice SOS Membership Savings Card and need the special IAFE ID number to obtain your discount, please call the IAFE office at 800.516.0313.
Subscribe to the SOS Sentinel, a complimentary e-newsletter, to get the news about promotions, Choice Hotels International property information, new choicehotels.com features and more! Please make sure to note that you are an IAFE member. Where are you traveling? Choice Hotels is probably there!
The Certified Fair Executive (CFE) Program promotes professional improvement of executives and recognizes those who achieve the rigorous standards of the CFE Program. Certification is bestowed on individuals who have demonstrated their abilities through years of service to their events, communities, and the IAFE.
The Hall of Fame award is presented annually in recognition of an individual's distinguished achievement in, or contribution to, the world of fairs, expositions, shows, and exhibitions.
The Heritage Awards Program was launched in 1994 to honor the work of volunteer fair, show, exhibition, and exposition managers. The nominations are open to individuals who have at least 10 years of fair management experience and receive no more than $2,500 remuneration annually for serving in the position.